Welcome Back to the 2020-2021 School Year!
Welcome back to a new school year, however your school will start. I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe and healthy! Hopefully you were able to enjoy at least some of your summer and have some quality time with your family.
We look forward to continued growth with renewal of memberships and new members. Educator dues are $20 if paid by December 31st and $40 if paid January 1st or after. Dues can be paid online by going to https://www.idea-online.org/join-idea/
I’m sure many of you are facing new challenges this school year and are looking for new technology and ideas, especially if you are virtual/online with students. Be sure to check out our resources page at: https://www.idea-online.org/links/ for ideas and resources. Feel free to contact Brian Rick (Communications Director) at email@example.com with ideas you can share with others. We need each other more than ever during this pandemic.
1. Our annual Fall conference will be virtual this year. We will continue working in collaboration with TEAI for this fall conference. Being virtual and continuing our collaboration will allow for more presentations, topics, activities, and the opportunity to go back and view them again later as needed.
2. More information will be coming as we finalize the plans, and we will update the website https://www.idea-online.org/conference/ with the fall conference information.
3. We are planning to have several asynchronous (pre-recorded sessions) so you will be able to view them when convenient.
4. We also need to have our Annual Business Meeting for the IDEA membership. This will also be virtual so be on the lookout for that meeting date, time and the link to join in. We are always looking to do what is best for our students and teachers and the more involvement and ideas the better.
5. In the virtual “general session” we will be presenting our annual awards. If you know someone you would like to nominate for our two awards there is a nomination form that will be available on our website at: http://www.idea-online.org/about-idea/awards/
*IDEA Teacher of the Year
*Friend of IDEA
*We also offer the Dr. Ryan Brown scholarship for students attending Illinois State University and who has competed or been involved in the IDEA.
Design & Drafting Education
It is currently a good time to be entering the Technology Education profession. Tech Ed careers are expanding, and we need to continue to encourage students to enter the drafting and design fields, especially to become future educators in our field. There have been quite a few openings in recent years that have gone unfilled. Anything we can do to encourage a student to follow into the Technology Education field is helpful. As our website continues to expand we are looking at adding more job openings and scholarship/program information for teachers, students, & parents.
Thank you for all the work you put in to educate your students whether in-person or online. I know these are difficult times, but several of you reached out to me and let me know about the amazing things you did in the spring and now in the fall to make it possible to continue to provide drafting and design curriculum to your students!
If there is anything we can do to help you in teaching your students drafting and design please ask. Our contact information can be found on our website at: http://www.idea-online.org/about-idea/officers/
Lastly, thank you to our board who puts in the time, effort and several google meets to make sure this organization, the conference and competition continues to run even in these uncertain times!
Jeff Brown – IDEA President
Teacher of the Year: Janelle Nordtvedt